Re: Which Linux distribution???

"A. M. Varon" <andre@lasaltech.lasaltech.com> writes:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, John Spence wrote:
>
> > One interesting point: I've noticed that it is very common for people to
> > move to Debian after using other distributions.  I would make a guess and
> > claim that there aren't too many people who migrate from Debian to another
> > dist after using Debian for at least a couple of months.
>
> How.... true. I agree 100% with that statement.
>
> But.... could it be possible that Debian will support some sort of
> GUI admin. tool? just like Redhat's control panel. maybe someone could
> port this thing to Debian.

I'm a maintainer (and author) of 'xAdmin' a graphical tool for administring
a Debian/Linux/UNIX machine (in that order :). I just started working as a
UNIX/Linux/Debian teacher (my first week I tought my students, which have very
little computer experiance, to install Debian. Some of them have installed RH
earlier, but thinks that although Debian is harder to install, it gives a better
Linux system... :) and I have not had the time to fix some bugs before
my first upload... Expect the first upload of the package within a couple of
weeks...

> This GUI admin tool has:
> 1. Printer Configurator.(easy to add printers locally, remote or using smb.)

Not yet started, but planed...

> 2. Network Configurator.(adding virtual hosts and/or dialup to an ISP.)

Done, also have a DNS editor/configurator...

> 3. Package Management. (sorta like a graphical dselect.)

Not yet started, wasn't planed, but I'll see what I can do...

> 4. Apache Configurator. (add virtual web hostings, etc.)

Not planed, I'm using Roxen, but if someone feels like working with me
on this...

> 5. File System Configurator. (mount/unmounts filesystems and NFS.)

Not yet started, but planed...

> 6. Runlevel Editor. (Edit the runlevels of the system.)

Not yet started, but planed...

> 7. User & group configurator. (Add,delete or lock users/groups.)

DONE! This is my real pride... :) I have put _A LOOT_ of work into this
one... Can handle NIS and Shadow

> 8. Time Machine. (Change the Time or Date Grahically.)

Done.

> Hell, it's so easy to dialup to an ISP using this thing, we could then
> elimanate maybe 20% of the topic here in debian-user mailing list about
> how to connect to an ISP. :)

PPP/SLIP support in the network editor have started, but it is not complete
(much of the code is there, just not called)

 Turbo  ___________     Debian GNU/Linux    Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^  ___  /___(_)__________  _____  __   selective about who its friends are
  _ /// _  /___  / _  / / / /_/ /__>  <    Turbo Fredriksson Tel: +46-704-697645
  \\\/  /_____/_/  /_/ /_/\__,_/ /_/|_|    S-415 10 Göteborg    turbo@tripnet.se
                  PGP#788CD1A9             SWEDEN         www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------------ PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ------------
--
[Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance] Croatian North Korea
NORAD FBI class struggle ammunition DES Ft. Bragg nuclear Qaddafi