Re: i (was: Summary of Package Overlaps)

On Fri, Feb 06, 1998 at 02:20:58PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> I fully agree to Santiago that no package should install a binary
> called `i'.
>
> All file names with a single character and also most of the file names
> with two characters are probably name space pollution.
>
> A few exceptions might be good, e.g., for utilities which always used a
> single character. Probably `w' and `[' fall into this category.
>
> What do others think about this? If people agree, we should work out a
> policy change.

I agree, except for 'w', '[', and 'X', all of which have roots going way
back, we should discourage, and possibly forbid, the use of single-letter
binary names.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  I am sorry, but what you have mistaken
Purdue University                   |  for malicious intent is nothing more