Re: possible new official mirror in the US

> > or    ftp.ca.us.debian.org    (i.e. Include the state in the fqdn)
>
> This makes the most sense.  We're going to end up with some longer fqdns,
> but who cares,  really?  The only concern is that we might then have to
> come up with ways of keeping track of other mirrors in countries that
> don't have states -- like,  for instance,  ftp.london.uk.debian.org vs
> ftp.liverpool.uk.debian.org if there were two in the uk.

I agree.  Since the point of the multiple mirrors is "to use a mirror close
to you", then the location should be in the name.

Also, "ftp.us.debian.org" should be set up with IP addresses of all the
ftp sites in the us, thus rotating among them in a fairly even matter.
This way, it will even the general load among all mirrors and still allow
people who know where they want to go to get there directly.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )