shameless advice request

Okay, this is probably not the right place to ask this, since
we've got a lot of wizards in here I'll just go ahead..

We're about to setup a proxy server for our whole university.
Currently we're thinking about a PC running Linux with squid.
My question is this: we need to support about 750 simultanious
users, probably more in the future. What kind of hardware would
we need for that? Anyone in here with experience with proxy-servers
on this scale?

It would be fun to see if we can outclass Sun on this one :)