Re: gcc problems

   I just installed gcc_2_7_2_1-9.deb and am having
   trouble linking any program.  I try "gcc hello_world.c"
   and I get no compile errors, but I get this link error:

   ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

   Sure enough, there is no such file ~anywhere~ on the system.
   If gcc needs it, shouldn't it have installed it?
   Am I doing something stupid?  I've installed everything
   gcc says it needs (cpp, libc5, binutils) or it came
   with the initial installation of Linux (I think libc5 did).
   Am I missing a switch or library?

You need to install libc5-dev or libc6-dev to get this file, and other
files besides.