perl-base problem with autoup

I ran autoup on two almost identical machines.  The big difference
had to do with random lossage introduced by running dselect on
the "hamm" boot disks, to install hamm (what with network problems,
and the initial session logging me out but leaving dselect running
when I hit control-Z there were a number of random differences).

What's wierd is that one of the versions of dpkg that I had running at
some point on one of the machines wound up with perl-base having 30
lines in perl-base.list (status: installed) while the other machine had
35 lines.  Of course, the machine without IO/Handle.pm wouldn't do
anything useful under dselect's install.

This is a very troubling circumstance, and I'm not sure how it
should be resolved.

--
Raul