Re: Package unions

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Will Lowe wrote:
> > Have you ever thougt of package unions?
> I proposed something similar once a few months back as a way to provide
> default system installations.  We could have,  for instance,  a package
> entitled "simple-debian" that would have no actual binaries,  just
> a list of required packages.  A new user could select this package for
> install,  and by allowing dselect to resolve all the "require"s,  end up
> with a simple preconfigured debian linux system,  because "simple-debian"
> would depend on smail,  on base,  etc...

	And What if I prefer sendmail instead of qmail (for example)?  You
would end up with a lot of "meta-packages" and all of them would be listed
by dselect, and it would be even more confusing to the beginner. Many
people I advised to try Debian went to install RedHat, because they
couldn't get through dselect... It's kind of boring having to browse
hundreths of packages all at once. Even worst if you don't know what all
that stuff is about.

	Would it be difficult to make dselect go one section at a time?
Like entering the "graphics"directory, then I decide to go to the x11
directory and so forth... ?

> I don't think it's a matter of adding anything to dpkg,  but more a matter
> of devising the empty packages and their control files.

	I think there are
>                      					Will

> |             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
> |			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |