Re: Libraries getting out of phase with other distributions

On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 02:02:00PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Here's some mail from Red Hat regarding shared library compatibility.  It
> looks as if we are getting into no-interoperation situations. It would be
> desirable to avoid that.

While the source of this particular confusion appears to have been cleared
up now, we don't have a general solution to this problem. For some time
after H.J. Lu separated libgdbm and others from his libc tree, there used to
be a "keeper of the .so name", who maintained a definite list of shared
library .so numbers. Unfortunately, nobody appears to do so anymore.

Bruce, I think it would be a good thing for the Linux community to have such
a central registry again. Given that 86open already focussing on
interoperability, I think it would be nice if the 86open group were to
organise this (it'll also be useful for 86open's visibility).

Greetings,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.