Re: New E Maintainer (Was: Re: Work-Needing and Prospective Packages for Debian GNU/Linux)

Johnie Ingram writes:
> It seems E was packaged some 3 or 4 months ago, but the person never
> uploaded the sources to the debian ftp site, and apparently wasn't of
> the Project.  So useless libc5-linked packages of imlib and e are
> floating around, and no one can duplicate the work.  :-(

ftp://ftp.mandrake.net/pub/enlightenment/oldsrc/ contains Debian .diff.gz
and .changes files for imlib, but not for E itself.

> The tricky part is not compiling enlightenment, theme packages,
> imlib1, and imlib1-dev, though creating shared library packages is an
> art in itself.  The tricky part is linking E with the Debian menu
> system, so that installed programs show up on a pop-up menu.
>
> I've seen it done, but darned if I can reconstruct how E was
> reconfigured automatically.  (I wound up purging E because it didn't
> do virtual desktops, but thats unrelated).

No problemo, just use the old /etc/menu-methods/enlightenment.

Then there is
/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment-packtheme
/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment-patchtheme
/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment-difftheme
for producing packages from themes. Revitalizing them could be a start.

I'd like to help, if possible. E and netscape are the last remaining libc5
packages in my system.

-Topi