Re: perl module to read config files?

On 21 Jan 1998, Stephen Zander wrote:

> "Jens B. Jorgensen" <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> writes:
>
> > Sounds like a perfect job for bison and flex. Having looked at the
> > syntax of the new files I'm guessing they follow a nice, strict
> > (easy to program for) syntax. If you get the source it's probably
> > got a parser embedded in it. It shouldn't be difficult to translate
> > c to perl.
>
> Heck, if it's got a yacc-based parser in the source, user perl-byacc
> (from CPAN) and generate the parser directly in perl.

actually, i don't have source (yet). it's for a project i'm working on -
i can see that the config file i need is going to be too unwieldy for a
flat text file, so a structured text file like gated and bind uses would
be good.

i suspect i'm going to have to give up on text files and use msql or
postgresql - but only as a last resort....the ability to edit the config
with vi is worth a lot of programming inconvenience.

i'll check out perl-byacc but since i have no previous experience with
writing yacc rules and i don't have much time to learn it, i dont know
if i can use it or not. thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

craig

--
craig sanders