Re: Debian 2.0 release requirements

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> "Richard" == Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:
> >> Shared libraries are linked dynamically against other libraries
> >>
> >> Linking shared libraries dynamically against other libraries
> >> simplifies the upgrading process and saves disk and memory space.
> >> All shared libraries included in the Debian distribution will be
> >> compiled that way.
> [...]
> > As far as I can tell, it does not save disk and memory space.
> > However, I am rather new at this.  Feel free to correct me.
>
> You are wrong.  Shared libraries are able to use copy-on-write memory
> space (hence the 'shared' category when you type 'free') which can
> radically lower RAM requirements.  This is not the case on statically
> linked libraries.
>
> And, clearly, it saves disk space since the code resides on the disk
> in only one place instead of being part of the executable.  (Little
> confused on how you could get confused on this one!)
>
> The final, and most important rationale is that bug fixes, say, in
> libc, can be applied in one place and all programs which statically
> link against the same major libc version are able to reap the benefits
> of that bug fix.

Please note, that we are not talking about `dynamically linked binaries'
(which has been implemented a long time ago) but about `shared libraries
being linked dynamically against other libraries', that is, if you, say,
build the libmysql.so shared library, this requires linked against libc of
course, which can be done either statically (libc code is included in
libmysql.so too) or dynamically.

(Is all this correct? I'm not a shared library expert.)

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,