Re: interactive sound configuration utility

On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 01:23:06PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> be GPL'd.  Aside from this, we should try to keep ours as close to
> theirs as possible so we can pass improvements back to them.

I just tried it out, and then spent several minutes fixing up
my sound configuration in /etc/conf.modules. It doesn't quite work.
It looks like it depends on a different set of modularization
patches that are included in 2.1.72. For example, it does "dma=0,5"
to the SB module, which in 2.1.72 really wants "dma=0 dma16=5"
instead.

As well as that, it adds some things like 'alias sound sb'
which I guess means if you "modprobe sound" it will instead
do modprobe sb and use the dependencies to actually add
sound.o which is needed for sb.o. I don't like this much though.

It only supports PnP cards, and for now only SBs.
Still, it could be fixed up. I'm not sure it's worth packaging
yet though. At least, I won't work on it yet. I will have to look
into the modularization on 2.0 and specifically if Debian has any
first.

newt seems ugly, too.

Hamish