Re: Emacs20 and mail file locking.

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  I think that it is probably fine like it is, except that it's not nfs
> safe without libnfslock.  It could probably be rewritten some to call
> on our liblockfile, rather than doing it internally the way it does.

Does xemacs implement maillock itself?  Emacs 20 doesn't, so emacs
20's maillock *would* be using liblockfile and so should be nfs safe.

The only problem that I've seen with emacs 20's movemail support of
maillock() (though I still don't feel qualified to be certain) is that
it appears to call maillock("full/path/to/spool", foo) rather than
maillock("username", foo).

Have you heard from James LewisMoss recently?  I posted a propsal for
some immediate changes to the various emacsen which would move us
closer to supporting simultaneous install.  I think Mark's OK with it,
but James hasn't said anything, and neither has anyone else...

My fear is everyone will only start screaming *after* I implement and
upload something :<

>  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'm not motivated to do this
> today... It works like it is, for me.  Someone who needs the nfs safe
> version ought to tackle it.  I don't imagine it will take more than an
> afternoon of hacking.

Well, I think we really need to get everything nfs safe -- silent
failures suck, and loss of mail sucks even more.

>  I wonder, would it be a good idea to put `movemail' into another
> general package, so that other programs can use it?  I think that it's
> generally useful enough for that.

It might make sense to put movemail in emacsen-common.  But that's
only good idea if xemacs, emacs19, and emacs20 expect the identical
semantics out of movemail...

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>