Re: libc5 to libc6 auto-upgrade script

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > dpkg -iB base/perl-base_*.deb interpreters/perl_*.deb
>
> Did you miss the change re perl?
>
> # perl-base must be configured before installing perl
> dpkg -iB */perl-base_*.deb && dpkg -iB */perl_*.deb

missed it entirely.

ok, here's the next revision:

---cut here---
#! /bin/sh

# safely upgrade a libc5 (bo) machine to libc6 (hamm).

# based on Scott Ellis' excellent "Debian libc5 to libc6 Mini-HOWTO"
# document at http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html

# Author: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
#
# Copyright Status: This script is hereby placed in the public domain
#
# Revision History:
# v0.0: 1998-01-08 (morning)
#	- a rough transcript of scott's doc and my own experiences
# v0.1: 1998-01-08 (night)
#   - a few bugfixes
#   - i got unlazy and put in the right subdirectories for each package.
#     should run a lot faster.
# 	- now checks for failure at critical points and exits with a different
#     exit code for each failure.
#   - now uses 'binary-$(dpkg --print-installation-architecture)' instead
#     of 'binary-i386'.
# v0.2: 1998-01-09
#   - fixed the perl-base/perl install (thanks Lindsay!)
#   - improved the DEVPACKAGES=$(dpkg --get-selections...) and added -dbg
#     packages.
#
# TODO: (probably by somebody else.  this script is mostly good enough imo)
#   - error checking
#   - be smarter about locating the hamm rootdir (or just assume we're in
#     the right directory to start with.  look for ./base/libc6_*.deb as a
#     sanity check).

# first, build up a list of installed -dev packages so that we can
# remove them.  remove wg-15-locale too.
#
# this is necessary even on machines which aren't doing libc6
# development because libc5 can't be upgraded to latest version without
# removal of libc5-dev which also necessitates removal of other -dev
# packages like libdb1-dev and libdl1-dev if they are installed.

DEVPACKAGES=$( dpkg --get-selections |
    grep -v deinstall |
    cut -f1 |
    grep -- "-dev$\|-dbg$" )

dpkg --remove -B $DEVPACKAGES wg-15-locale || exit 1

# now install the new versions of things.  Just the bare minimum to let
# the user safely run dselect for the rest of the upgrade.

# change this to prompt the user for the location of the debian archive.
cd /debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-$(dpkg --print-installation-architecture)

# libc
#
dpkg -iB base/ldso_*.deb base/libc5_*.deb base/libc6_*.deb \
    base/timezones_*.deb admin/locales_*.deb || exit 2

# libreadline, ncurses, and bash
#
dpkg -iB base/ncurses3.0_*.deb libs/ncurses3.4_*.deb  || exit 3
dpkg -iB oldlibs/libreadline2_*.deb  || exit 4
dpkg -iB base/libreadlineg2_*.deb || exit 5

# paranoia says run ldconfig NOW. don't laugh, i've needed to do this on
# some libc5-libc6 upgrades. i know that the postinst scripts for the
# libs are supposed to do it but ....
ldconfig
dpkg -iB base/bash_*.deb || exit 6

# new dpkg
#
dpkg -iB devel/libg++272_*.deb || exit 7
dpkg -iB base/dpkg_*.deb base/dpkg-dev_*.deb

# strictly speaking, dpkg-ftp and dpkg-mountable are not essential to
# upgrade right now but they're both very useful.
dpkg -iB utils/dpkg-ftp_*.deb admin/admin/dpkg-mountable_*.deb

# perl
#
dpkg -iB base/libgdbm1_*.deb devel/libgdbmg1_*.deb || exit 8
# paranoia says "run ldconfig now".
ldconfig
dpkg -iB base/perl-base_*.deb || exit 9
dpkg -iB interpreters/perl_*.deb

# paranoia says: "run sync", so lets do it :-)
sync ; sync ; sync

# the user can now run dselect and select any -dev packages they want
# (and other packages too, of course :-)

more <<__EOF__

libc6 is now installed.  Now run dselect to upgrade the rest of your
system.  When that's done, reboot with "shutdown -r now" for the
utmp/wtmp wrapper functions in the upgraded libc5 to take effect.

BTW, if you aren't using it already, check out dselect's "mountable"
access method.  It's much faster than the standard "mounted" method, and
it logs everything that happens in /var/log/dpkg-mountable.  You'll want
to set "Allow overwriting repeated files?" to yes, and for extra speed
set "Enable MD5 checksumming?" to no.

Finally, remember to fix up wtmp and utmp, otherwise last and
who and sac etc wont work. here's what Miquel van Smoorenburg
<miquels@cistron.nl> had to say about this recently in debian-user
mailing list:

    > 1. You need to update ALL your packages to hamm
    > 2. Reboot if you haven't done that already
    > 3. You need to move the wtmp file and truncate the utmp file:
    >    cd /var/log
    >    mv wtmp wtmp.libc5
    >    touch wtmp
    >    cd /var/run
    >    cp /dev/null utmp
    > 4. You might want to reboot again to make sure
    >
    > This is because the "struct utmp" and thus the utmp and wtmp
    > "databases" are different between libc5 and libc6

__EOF__
---cut here---

> You have done a fine job, Craig.  I will build another bo system in the
> morning and run the script again.

thanks. i hope this one works without any problems.

craig

--
craig sanders