Re: Locked out of Root after attemting to change shells

On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 04:09:02PM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, smb@execpc.com wrote:
> >   I recently installed Debian Linux 1.3 on my computer, and while I
> > was trying to change my login shell for root the other day with chsh,
> > I accidently typed in an incorrect path to the shell I wanted.  Being
> > root, I was not restricted in the path choice that I made, so now
> > every time I log on as root, I get an error message that says
> > 'shell not found' and I am promptly logged off the system.  Is there
> > any way to correct this problem short of reinstalling everything
> > again?  I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.
>
> I think you can get su to work, but you may have to tell it what program
> to run instead of the login shell.
su --shell=/bin/bash

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *