	Bruce

From: Steffen Seeger <seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>

Hello All People Reading,

This message is to announce the release of GGI-0.0.9 public.

What is GGI?
============

GGI - The General Graphics Interface Project is an attempt to
setup a general, fast, efficient and secure interface to graphics
and human-machine interaction hardware for UNIX-like operating
systems. It allows normal applications to have direct but
controlled access to the underlying graphics hardware without
compromising system stability. The basic design consists of
two parts. First a kernel part, which does all the critical
operations that may cause the system to hang or may cause damage
to the hardware. Second is a library, that translates the drawing
requests from applications into 'commands' for the kernel part.

More detailed information can be found at
http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/

GGI-0.0.9 Features
==================

The highlights of GGI-0.0.9 can be summarized as:

	* XGGI, a non-SUID X server running with GGI is now
	  available. The kernel part is not backward compatible
	  yet, but this will be fixed with the next release.
	  You will be able to choose between old SUID servers
	  and the new, hardware independent XGGI server then.

	* first implementation of libGGI. This library allows
	  GGI applications to run in various environments without
	  a change. E.g. you can simply run the XGGI server
	  ´on the hardware´ and ´on itself´. LibGGI has been
	  ported to various platforms, like AIX and IRIX, and more
	  platforms will be supported in the next release. You
	  can use libGGI without the kernel part, if your card
	  is not supported yet.

	* A replacement for SVGAlib that allows you to run older
	  SVGAlib applications is included. However, they should
	  not need root-rights anymore. This lib is still under
	  development, so please report us your experiences
	  with it.

	* easy to use support for mixed brand multi-display
	  configurations. You can plug in two video cards, from
	  different vendors and run independent graphics
	  applications (or consoles) on both. Configurations
	  tested include S3 968 with normal VGA, 3Dlabs Permedia
	  based cards, another (two) S3 968 cards and lots more.
	  But multihead capability depends on the particular
	  drivers and hardware, so not all supported cards
	  can be run multi-display.

	* support for mixed brand multi-input configurations.
	  Connect as many mice to your computer as you want and
	  use them with your favourite graphics application or
	  even on the console. No extra configuration needed, just
	  load the driver. Together with the multi-display
	  capability this allows you to run multi-terminal
	  machines. Simply connect two keyboards (one to the
	  keyboard port and one to the ps/2 aux port), plus
	  two serial mice and run two independent graphics
	  applications (e.g. a game on one and XGGI on the
	  other). Of course none of them needs other than
	  access permissions to some special files.

	* greatly extended driver base. The following hardware
	  is supported:

		- various multisync and monosync monitors.
		- chipsets:
			Chips & Technologies 655xx
			Cirrus Logic 542x, Laguna 3D (CL-GD546x)
			Cyrix Media GX, thanks to Cyrix Corporation
			IBM VGA, Hercules MGA (text mode only)
			Matrox MGA 2x64 (Millenium I/II) and
			MGA 1064 (Mystique)
			S3 86c765 (Trio64V+), S3 928, S3 86c968,
			S3 86c964
			Tseng ET4000 (including W32, W32i, W32p),
			ET 6000

			Thanks to 3Dlabs Incorporated, a Permedia
			driver has been developed and will be
			released within the next days. Source
			release conditions are not fully figured
			out yet, but will probably be similar to
			that of the SUSE/ELSA X servers. A
			Permedia2 driver is in the works and will
			be announced separately.

		- clock chips:
			various fixed frequency clock chips
			found on S3, Western Digital, Tseng Labs
			and Cirrus Logic cards

			various programmable clock chips

		- DAC´s:
			ATT 20c504, ATT 20c505, Bt485,
			TI TVP 3026, SC 15026 and various
			integrated DAC´s.

	  So, if all the parts on your particular graphics card
	  are supported, chances are very good it runs with GGI.
	  However, we have tested only on our boards, so test results
	  are very welcome.

	* first applications are available for GGI. Please
	  check our website for more information, this is changing
	  daily.

If you got interested, you may download a copy of the
GGI 0.0.9 public release from the following sites:

http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/ and its various mirrors
ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/pub/org/g/ggi/

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/ggi/
[uploaded today, so it should appear by the end of the week]

However, though this software is still in ALPHA stage, but we
encourage everyone interested to test and contribute to the
development.

Future Plans
============

As you see, GGI-0.0.9 is a milestone that marks the first version
showing a useable proof of concepts to the public. We are now
heading towards the next release of GGI, code-named DEGAS.
Its main features will be:

	* accelerated X server
	* fully accelerated libGGI
	* accelerated OpenGL-like API for the supported chipsets.
	* backward compatible kernel part. We also plan to work
	  closely with the Linux/SGI effort to ensure compatiblity
	  of the /dev/graphic special file interfaces between the
	  two platforms.
	* enhanced support for graphical consoles, allowing you to
	  run GGI-enabled kernels on any VESA card. You will not
	  have acceleratation then, but may have X even on not
	  supported cards. This will also allow to take a second
	  attempt at the m68k port of KGI.

This is a lot to do, but we look forward to present the next version
of GGI to the UNIX community, perhaps being out of ALPHA state then.

Thanks
======

The GGI Project team wishes to thank all developers involved in
this effort. Also, we would like to thank Stone Microsystems,
ELSA GmbH, Cyrix Inc., S3 Inc, Matrox Inc and 3Dlabs Inc. for
their support of our efforts.

Also, we thank the Freiburger Linux Users Group for their donation
that will enable us to provide Permedia2 support.

Finally, we want to thank you for reading, testing and commenting
on GGI. We would like to know your opinion and/or experiences
with GGI. If you like it, tell us, and if you don´t like it,
please tell us why.

More information about GGI can be found on
http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/

Whatever is your taste, we wish you a happy new year and a lot of
fun with GGI-0.0.9

Best Regards,

		Steffen Seeger on behalf of The GGI Project Team.

- ------------- The GGI Project: http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/ -------------

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@news.ornl.gov

--
Balance the U.S. budget! - NO tax cuts until the deficit's gone.