Re: pentium specific packages

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> Now that ecgs has ben officially released, maybe it's time to think (again)
> about pentium/pro/K6/... specific packages. I think it would be good to have
> a section i586 which would contain pentium specific packages. I don't know
> how this conflict with the current dpkg* tools (such as dselect). I know
> that we could release packages like gzip-i586 (provides gzip). However this
> is far from an ideal solution.

How about a binary-pent directory with symlinks back to binary-i386 until
a package is uploaded.  Then we need to tell dselect(ftp) to get the
packages from binary-pent instead of binary-i386.  Is there an easy way to
do this?  (Also, if pentium clones also work with the ecgs compiled
packages, maybe i586 is better than pent.)

Thanks,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds