Re: Duplicate messages on this list

On 05-Dec-1997, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> trd@cs.mu.oz.au said:
> > Sorry, this came out sounding harsher than it was supposed to. I just
> > think that there are some problems that could really do with solving,
> > and Reply-To: would do it at a relatively small cost.
>
> Is it really so hard to use ``Reply All'' and then cut out all the Cc: except the list address ?

Using one of the most popular mailers around: 'elm', this is difficult
to the point of being unworkable. I changed mailers to avoid the whole
problem myself.

> Are there mailers that are feeble enough to make this difficult ?  Or is it just that people are not using the functionality available to them ?
>
> IMHO overriding an existing Reply-To is a bad idea.

I think it's bad that mailers don't handle mailing lists well. When that
support is common, there will be little reason for munging Reply-To. But now,
it solves some problems, and has little cost (apart from being less
pleasing).

> With your solution, how do you propose to deal with the case where someone has a good reason for using a Reply-To ?

I can only see two good reasons - one, moving the topic to another
mailing list (which won't work everyone else doesn't prune the CCs), or two,
if your "From" doesn't match your email address. On announcement lists,
you can use Reply-To more creatively to put a PR handling address, but
debian-devel is not an announcement list.

So if your email system is broken so that the From: of outgoing mail
won't be accepted as incoming mail, and so you use a reply-to, I suppose
this would cause trouble.   Considering most mailing lists seem to be
configured to reject email that isn't "From" the person on the list, I
find this is a pretty feeble argument. But it's the strongest argument
for not munging Reply-Tos on mailing lists. Even the mail RFC (I forget the
number) suggests using Reply-Tos for mailing lists.

With the current situation, what are the solutions to the 4 problems I
outlined? -- and what is the likelihood of these solutions actually solving
problems (as opposed to the "spend 30 seconds pruning your headers"
solution, which given the number of CCs on this list, is clearly not
workable).

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #         Linux versus Windows is a