Re: gated

> note that there are no problems with DOWNLOADING gated sources.  The
> weird licensing is only a problem if you want to DISTRIBUTE it. debian
> can't distribute any gated sources because we wont sign the distribution
> license agreement.

I just grabbed a copy of gated from:

  ftp://gated.merit.edu/net-research/gated/gated-R3_5_5.inet.tar.gz

(is that the right one ?) and found this in README.license

--
  Please note the Gated 3.5.5 software can distributed
  in source or binary form to any mirror sites.

        Merit GateDaemon Project
        4251 Plymouth Road, Suite C
        Ann Arbor, MI 48105
--

It strikes me that we are allowed to mirror the source, and possibly even a binary package, as long as we don't do so in a commercial product.  So if we put it in non-free, there should be no problem.

Depending upon how you read some of the other bits of licences, you might think that we can only justify distributing a pristine copy of the source tarball, in which vase you could go for the same approach as I used for qmail-src (which is a package that contains the .orig.tar.gz, .dsc and .diff.gz files, and a script to build them into a binary).

Cheers, Phil.