More from the Dosemu mailing list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 97 13:03:45 MET
From: Erik Mouw <erik@it.et.tudelft.nl>
Cc: clameter@waterf.org
Subject: Re: [RDDC] Feature request: Autodetect vm86plus

Hi Chris,

> It would be good if dosemu could autodetect if advanced dosemu
> capabilities are in the kernel (>=2.1.15 f.e.)
>
> Right now I cannot compile that ability into dosemu since most Debian
> people use the standard 2.0.27 kernel without advanced kernel support.
>
> Some are running 2.1.X and want the advanced kernel support. I would
> have to maintain two versions to accommodate them.

Dosemu _does_ detect the kernel version, but the problem is Debian.
The first thing I do after I install a Debian distribution is:

cd /usr/include
rm -rf asm asm-i386 linux
ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm asm
ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux

For non Debian users: Debian has the kernel include files in
/usr/include. The directories asm and linux are not just symlinks to
the real kernel source, but are real directories with Linux 2.0.27
include files (in the case of Debian 1.2). I think you can guess what
will go wrong if you install Linux 2.1.x.

I think this should be the solution for Debian:

Make a package kernel_include that contains the kernel header files
(provides kernel_headers). This package is a required package for
libc_dev (requires kernel_headers). Make a fake package (like the one
for Netscape) also providing kernel_headers that just makes symlinks
in /usr/include to the usual kernel header location. This fake
package should not require kernel_source so that it doesn't force the
user to use the debian kernel source package. This may sound a bit
dangerous, but the experienced Linux user should not have any problem
with it. Besides, most people who compile a new kernel or Dosemu
_are_ experienced Linux users.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Debian (I use it on my two
Linux boxes at home). It's just the fact that Debian should follow
the general Linux standard and not invent an own standard that's
incompatible with other Linux software around. For the same reason I
am against Dosemu configuration files in /etc/dosemu instead of /etc.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw
email: J.A.K.Mouw@ET.TUDelft.NL  erik@it.et.tudelft.nl