Re: More from the Dosemu mailing list.

Christoph Lameter writes:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > It would be good if dosemu could autodetect if advanced dosemu
> > capabilities are in the kernel (>=2.1.15 f.e.)
> >
> > Right now I cannot compile that ability into dosemu since most Debian
> > people use the standard 2.0.27 kernel without advanced kernel support.
> >
> > Some are running 2.1.X and want the advanced kernel support. I would
> > have to maintain two versions to accommodate them.

Just compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include as described in
/usr/doc/libc5/FAQ.gz.

> Dosemu _does_ detect the kernel version, but the problem is Debian.
> The first thing I do after I install a Debian distribution is:
>
> cd /usr/include
> rm -rf asm asm-i386 linux
> ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm asm
> ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux linux
>
> For non Debian users: Debian has the kernel include files in
> /usr/include. The directories asm and linux are not just symlinks to
> the real kernel source, but are real directories with Linux 2.0.27
> include files (in the case of Debian 1.2). I think you can guess what
> will go wrong if you install Linux 2.1.x.
> Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Debian (I use it on my two
> Linux boxes at home). It's just the fact that Debian should follow
> the general Linux standard and not invent an own standard that's
> incompatible with other Linux software around. For the same reason I
> am against Dosemu configuration files in /etc/dosemu instead of /etc.

Would anyone be interested in rewriting that part of the kernel README
file that talks about symlinking /usr/include to the kernel source and
sending it to the kernel folks?  It should say that this step is
entirely optional and also give some of the reasons why it isn't
desirable.

David