Re: Debian Specialities (fwd)

Hi,

	It all boils down to customer support, in this case. The
 debian project supplies known good kernels, and other software, to
 our ``customers'', dosemu being one of them. Usually, we supply a
 stable kernel, and with it should come a dosemu that is in synch with
 it.

	As time goes on, more and more of the customers g over to
 custom built kernels, which may or may not work with the older
 dosemu. (well, unstable means just that, right?).  Being nice people,
 we periodically supply newer kernel images in unstable, and maybe
 upgrade dosemu to work with these as well. *But*, this is not a
 situation we are committed to support (we did say unstable, after
 all). We should in no case let down the people using the stable
 versions of debian, and our current /usr/include policy helps build a
 stabler system (since the libc developer has been fairly conservative
 in the past, thank goodness), since most developers compile against a
 relatively stable include tree, without stifling their desire to keep
 to the bleeding edge or retain an ancient kernel tree.

	As long as we have ``periodic'' releases of libc and packages
 like dosemu to somewhat cater to the bleeding edge people, we should
 be doing ok (this could doubtless be stated better in terms of risk
 management and keeping up to date).

	After all this rambling, I again say that our current header
 policy, IMHO, is just fine.

	manoj
--
 "There was nothing I hated more than to see a filthy old drunkie, a
 howling away at the sons of his father and going blurp blurp in