Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy.

Hi,
>>"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

Rob> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>> The vendor, I think. kernel-header-x.xx and kernel-source packages
>> have always assumed ownership of /usr/src; this is not a new libc6
>> thing.

Rob> It's new for anyone who has never had kernel-headers and
Rob> kernel-source installed before now (because presumably they were
Rob> using kernel-package).

	Umm. Well, I still don't see how we can possibly fail to
 surprise novices (or one-who-has-not-used-our-packages-so-far)

>> I find this hard to believe. kernel-headers and kernel-source
>> packages write to the directories kernel-headers-X.X.XX and
>> kernel-source-X.X.XX. They create symbolic links /usr/src/linux and
>> /usr/src/linux-X.X.Xx.
>>
>> They most certainly do not clobber existing local headers in
>> /usr/src/linux!!

Rob> I think you overlooked part of my post.  I mentioned that *I* had
Rob> created /usr/src/linux as a link to
Rob> /usr/src/linux-my-kernel-version. Then when I installed
Rob> kernel-headers (because the new libc6-dev made me),
Rob> kernel-headers saw the link, decided it was OK, and proceeded to
Rob> write it's files into /usr/src/my-kernel-version.

	Hold on right there!! This is something indistinguishable from
 magic!! kernel-headers installs files in
 /usr/src/kernel-headers-X.X.XX. It never installs into
 /usr/src/linux-* or usr/src/my-kernel-version. The postinst may
 create the link, but the files are already installed.

	Blowing away /usr/src/my-kernel-version is an impossibility.
 Do a dpkg -c kernel-headers-X.X.XX. See where the files are? and how
 they will not be put in /usr/src/my-kernel-version?

Rob> I'm not claiming this is a bug, since I think it's becoming clear
Rob> that I shouldn't have made the link in the first place, but I was
Rob> a little surprised, and I think others might be as well.

	I'm glad you are not claiming it is a bug ;-)

	manoj

--
 "I'm against any law that I wouldn't break if I could get away with
 it." Whitney Brown, SNL