Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy.

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	The vendor, I think. kernel-header-x.xx and kernel-source
>  packages have always assumed ownership of /usr/src; this is not a new
>  libc6 thing.

It's new for anyone who has never had kernel-headers and kernel-source
installed before now (because presumably they were using
kernel-package).

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just wanted to post a heads-up before
other people were affected.  And regardless, I think we might need to
make the /usr/src/ policy clear.  (Perhaps it is already and I just
wasn't paying enough attention.)

> 	I find this hard to believe. kernel-headers and kernel-source
>  packages write to the directories kernel-headers-X.X.XX and
>  kernel-source-X.X.XX. They create symbolic links /usr/src/linux and
>  /usr/src/linux-X.X.Xx.
>
> 	They most certainly do not clobber existing local headers in
>  /usr/src/linux!!

I think you overlooked part of my post.  I mentioned that *I* had
created /usr/src/linux as a link to /usr/src/linux-my-kernel-version.
Then when I installed kernel-headers (because the new libc6-dev made
me), kernel-headers saw the link, decided it was OK, and proceeded to
write it's files into /usr/src/my-kernel-version.  I'm not claiming
this is a bug, since I think it's becoming clear that I shouldn't have
made the link in the first place, but I was a little surprised, and I
think others might be as well.

> 	I think this is the case. This is not new, (21 months is old
>  in the Debian world); but I do agree this needs to be better
>  advertized.

Right.  That seems to be the most likely conclusion.  Sooner or later
we'll probably also need a FAQ.  I can see a large number of questions
being caused by people following the Linux (Kernel) HOWTO's and making
a mess of /usr/src.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>