What's Debian's /usr/src policy.

The question is, "who owns /usr/src, Debian or the local sysadmin?"

A recent run-in with the latest pre-release libc6 packages made me
realize that I hadn't fully considered the role of /usr/src on a
Debian system.

In general, I had always considered Debian as "owning" everything
outside /usr/local, /usr/src, and /home.  By "owning" I mean that I if
I did anything fancy in the regions that belong to Debian, I should
expect that work might get clobbered later by new Debian packages, or
updates to existing packages.

Unfortunately, kernel-headers, which I had to install for the first
time because of a dependency from the upcoming libc6-dev package,
clobbered my existing *local* kernel source tree headers by writing to
/usr/src/linux which was already a link I had created to
/usr/src/linux-2.1.73.  kernel-headers is not the only package
claiming space in /usr/src that might conflict with current practices;
pcmcia-source does as well.

I really only see two possible choices.

1) Flatly state /usr/src/ is owned by Debian.  I.e. it is no safer to
put anything there than in /bin.  If you want to put something in
/usr/src/ (because you're building kernels with kernel-package or
whatever), you should use /usr/local/src/ instead.  This policy, if
adopted, will have to be *heavily* advertised.

2) Try to accomodate user files in /usr/src.  This would cause the
least conflict with all the existing kernel/PCMCIA HOWTO's, etc about
where things you unpack should go, but having user files in /usr/src
would probably make it nearly impossible to write "safe"
{pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts for the relevant packages.  (Note that the
"bug" that got me was in the kernel-header's postinst where it assumes
that if /usr/src/linux is a link, then it is safe to unpack there.)

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I think we need to consider
the problem before the new libc6-dev gets released from the
experimental stages, and we certainly need a long-term policy.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>