Re: Immutable files

    Topi> Matthew Wilcox writes:
    >>
    >> From a security point of view, it might be considered
    >> worthwhile to install system executables (particularly the suid
    >> ones) and then mark them immutable.

    Topi> Sounds like a simple extension to suidmanager
    Topi> package. According to WNPP, it needs a new maintainer (hint
    Topi> hint).

 I've already taken over maintainership from Christoph Lameter
 <clameter@waterf.org>.

 I suppose that the immutable bit could be set by adding a new
 optional argument and optional field in "/etc/suid.conf".  But what
 happens when you go to upgrade the package?

 If the prerm scripts ran `suidunregister', it might work.  But that's
 being done in the postrm scripts, after the old file is supposed to
 be removed. (is that right?)  The file cannot be deleted with the
 immutable bit set.

    Topi> Maybe using suidmanager should be enforced by the Policy?

 Yes, perhaps.  Has this been discussed before?