Re: Can I take wml and eperl?

On Mon, Dec 22, 1997 at 01:10:17AM -0700, Anthony Fok wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
>
> > 	PS. Currently wml includes eperl, iselect,
> > 	    weblint, m4, txt2html etc. I intend to split
> > 	    these (atleast the bigger ones) to separate
> > 	    packages, and make wml depend on them. See
> > 	    /usr/doc/wml/COPYRIGHT.OTHER. No reason to
> > 	    have eperl or m4 installed twice.. But that
> > 	    cames *after* getting a working version out.
>
> I am ambivalent on this one.  Currently, the installed size of WML is only
> 1990 KB, i.e. less than 2 MB.  Basically, the ePerl, m4, etc. included in
> WML are somewhat stripped down already (i.e. no example files, just the
> executables and the manpages).  It might not worth the trouble to split up
> the package.

Sorry, do you mean that wml contains copies of m4, eperl, txt2html and
other? If this is the case, they should be removed IMHO and wml should
depend on the debian packages. 2 MB to download takes 20 minutes for me and
costs a few buckets.

I think if it is easy possible, it should be done, because it reduces
bandwidth. (Note that I don't know if the executables provide the same
functionality, I'm just guessing).

(On the other hand, we could link all executables statically, because they
would be smaller then 2 MB in most cases >:-]

Merry christmess,

Mrcs (whr r my vwls ?)

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."                         Debian GNU/Linux
Marcus Brinkmann                                      http://www.debian.org