Re: Paranoia, "pristine sources", turnkeys, compiling, configuration

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> You might have a look at how Free and Open BSD do things with their
> ports system.  It doesnt seem that attractive as a package management
> system (try installing Xemacs over a 28.8 on a 486;-), but it is done
> quite well, and with standard unix tools.  It has provisions for
> dependencies and the like as well.  I would like to look at their
> binary package tool as well, but it dumps core on my 2.2-RELEASE
> Fbsd...

Ahh, but judging from recent posts to USENET, "ports" seems to be more
of a system for "source package" management than package management.
And our source packaging could use some revamping anyways. (I'd like
multiple .tar.gz files and multiple diff files, for example.)

(As far as I can tell from USENET, their binary packages are similar
to Slakware.)

If anyone decides to work on a better source packaging system for
Debian, they probably should look at "ports" for some ideas.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu