Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Note, that I'm not saying that I can come up with a good argument why
> it would be important to be able to make this distinction (or to even
> do what I'm depicting in the example), but I am saying that since I
> can't prove to myself that the exact arguement used to invoke pppd
> will *never* be crucial, you shouldn't mangle it.

Alternate devices directories might be useful in a secured network
environment (e.g. each physical set of connections gets its own
directory with its own permissions). Here, you want separate directories
because programs which manipulate ttys tend to manipulate device
permissions. You want lines going to the outside world to have different
permissions than lines going to the inside world because that's what
your security model dictates.

--
Raul