Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

> > > And there is one thing
> > > which I would qualify as a mistake in the above description: $2 is
> > > actually in the form "/dev/ttyS1" than just "ttyS1".
> >
> > Doh!  I wish they wouldn't do that.  I guess it's for some kinda
> > security?
> >
> > .......A. P. Harris...apharris@onShore.com...<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>
>
> Well, as it was already pointed out by someone, $2 is in exactly the same
> form as the option passed to pppd. (Un)fortunately, pppd is flexible
> enough to accept port in both /dev/ttyS1 and plain ttyS1 forms.
> As a result, $2 can also be in one of the above two forms. The solution
> would be to detect in ip-up (and ip-down) which one is used and convert
> it to "ttyS1" form.

If people really think it is necesary I can add:

  PPP_TTYNAME=`/usr/bin/basename "$2"`

  export PPP_TTYNAME

to the ip-{up,down} scripts.

I suppose that in the situation where you actually have several scripts that make use of this, it will save some time, but how often is that ?

You tell me :-)

Cheers, Phil.