options for menu packages

A wishlist priority bug report was filed against pppload as it's menu entry
contained this as the command:

  /usr/X11R6/bin/pppload -i 2 -p 10

The bug reporter (bugger :-) - Yann Dirson suggested a conffile would be
nice. So I made a new conffile /etc/pppload and changed command to this:

  /usr/X11R6/bin/pppload $(tail -n +2 /etc/pppload)

This is a bit limiting on a multi-user system (I don't think Debian should
ever assume that the sys-admin is the only user - and there are some pretty
unfriendly^H^H^Hbusy sys-admins out there). So now I'm thinking about using
this instead:

  /usr/X11R6/bin/pppload \
    $(grep -v ^\# \
      $(if [ -r ~/.pppload ]; then \
        echo ~/.pppload; \
      else \
        echo /etc/pppload; \
      fi))

I realise that user can override the menu system by making entries in
~/.menu/, but that is more effort (albeit not much).

I'd like to hear what other people think (particularly Yann!) Implementing
this scheme is not much work, but if it's unneccessary, I'd rather not do it.
If OTOH, people think it's a good idea, I'll update any other packages that
could benefit from this.

PS: I think that whatever is decided, the original scheme (or having a
conffile) is a very good idea that is easily implemented and Yann's
suggestion should be mentioned in the menu package itself.

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS