Semi-important: tearing my hair out over libgtk problems

I just can't understand this. I'm the maintainer of libgtk, the GIMP
toolkit, which is the widget set for The GIMP and Gnome and other nice
X programs.

Ever since gtk+971109, however, I've been running into a problem that
nobody who isn't running Debian has been running into.

libgtk *compiles* fine, but when I run a program that uses it, the
fields where you enter text into only display bizarre characters --
which change from version to version. For instance, when trying to get
gtk+971201 to work, I only got blank characters when typing. When
trying gtk+971208, I only got capital Os with umlauts. When trying the
latest gtk+, 0.99.0, I only get capital As with umlauts. I tried the
latest version from their CVS repositories and only get lower-case
'x's.

Other Debian folks have run into this when compiling libgtk, and this
has happened to me now on *three* separate Debian-running computers,
so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

I'm 100 percent up-to-date with hamm. I've tried libc 2.0.5c. I've
tried 2.0.6pre3. I've tried 2.0.6pre4. I've tried re-working my
debian/rules (which worked fine with gtk+971109) to use the make
install provided in the gtk+ Makefile along with debhelper instead of
my semi-kluged bash-package-style moving files into separate
debian/tmp-blah directories.

Is it just me?

Can anyone else try compiling with the .dsc/.diff.gz/.orig.tar.gz at
http://everybody.got.net/~che/gtk/ for me, and see if I'm just nuts?

I've been struggling with this for *weeks* now.

Here's some related version numbers of packages, if it matters:

ii  gcc             2.7.2.3-3      The GNU C compiler.
ii  ldso            1.9.6-2        The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit
ii  libc6           2.0.5c-0.1     The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.5c-0.1     The GNU C library version 2 (development fil
ii  xlib6g          3.3.1-2        Shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6g-dev      3.3.1-2        Include files and libraries for X client dev

--
Brought to you by the letters X and R and the number 6.
"Someday, we will be." "For it has already begun." -- Akira