Re: Semi-important: tearing my hair out over libgtk problems

On 15 Dec 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> libgtk *compiles* fine, but when I run a program that uses it, the
> fields where you enter text into only display bizarre characters --
> which change from version to version. For instance, when trying to get
> gtk+971201 to work, I only got blank characters when typing. When trying
> gtk+971208, I only got capital Os with umlauts. When trying the latest
> gtk+, 0.99.0, I only get capital As with umlauts. I tried the latest
> version from their CVS repositories and only get lower-case 'x's.

I gave up on 971208... funny thing is I also got Ö's.

> Other Debian folks have run into this when compiling libgtk, and this
> has happened to me now on *three* separate Debian-running computers,
> so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Not it's definitely not. I thought it could be the extension to get
iso-8859-1 characters. I tryed every combination available on the
configure script, but no luck.

> I'm 100 percent up-to-date with hamm. I've tried libc 2.0.5c. I've
> tried 2.0.6pre3. I've tried 2.0.6pre4. I've tried re-working my
> debian/rules (which worked fine with gtk+971109) to use the make
> install provided in the gtk+ Makefile along with debhelper instead of
> my semi-kluged bash-package-style moving files into separate
> debian/tmp-blah directories.

I even compiled and installed it straight from the distribution...

> Can anyone else try compiling with the .dsc/.diff.gz/.orig.tar.gz at
> http://everybody.got.net/~che/gtk/ for me, and see if I'm just nuts?
>
> I've been struggling with this for *weeks* now.

I didn't try that hard... but I got the same problems. I tried just after
you pointed out the problem when I asked in debian-user. The last
known-to-work version was somewhere arround late november, I can't recall
which one. I hoped I could find time the last weekend to go thru the diffs
between those two versions, but they are not trivial. In the office next
door, a guy has a much hated (by me -- open mindness and all ;) RH box, I
think it is 4.2. I was asked him to compile the thing and see what happens
(to check which and what library is the problem against), but he's a
little paranoid and won't do it.

I'll see if I can get something tonight.

Can you ask in the gtk list, where it seems to work for most people
according to you, which libraries and what versions are they using? (a
listing from */lib and /etc/ld.conf would help, I think)

later,

Marcelo