Re: Proxy server policy [was Re: gated]

On 10 Dec 1997, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.971209113548.720A-100000@wakko.ualberta.ca>,
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> >
> >Well, http is pretty simple, it's either authenticated or unauthenticated
> >HTTP proxy protocol. There should be a way to specifiy for which hosts it
> >applies to.. You could also do HTTP over socks4/5 but that's a bit silly.
> >
> >FTP is difficult, there is at least:
> >   ftp over http
> >   ftp over user@host
> >   ftp over site
> >   ftp over ?? [I forget this one]
> >   ftp over NAT (passive)
> >   ftp over socks4 and socks5
> >
> >Many of those have authenticated versions as well and all should have a
> >way to specify which addresses apply.
>
> We have an ftp cache here which seems to be accessed differently from
> any of these (unless I misunderstood you).  You ftp to the cache,
> login anonymously, and cd to a particular directory.  So to get to
> ftp.debian.org:
>
> ftp ftpcache
> login: ftp
> password: <email>
> cd /sites/ftp.debian.org/pub/debian
> ls
>
> ...and so on.  I'm not sure that you can ever have a scheme that will work
> for -all- the wierd and wonderful proxies, caches and firewalls out there.
>
> (This cache is something that was knocked up locally, I think.  It's
> integrated with the HENSA mirrors, but fetches updates to individual
> files on demand, too.)

Yes, this is most unusual. If it was created locally I would suggest you
use something more 'normal' for instance:

ftp ftpcache
login ftp@ftp.debian.org
pass: <email>
cd /pub/debian
ls

It should be trivial to simply prepend '/sites/ftp.debian.org/' to all
paths inside your proxy. This works transparently with most software, lftp
now has support for this kind of proxy as does perl's libnet. Otherwise
you are just adding more proxies configurations to them mix <sigh>

Jason