Re: Proxy server policy [was Re: gated]

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.971209113548.720A-100000@wakko.ualberta.ca>,
Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>Well, http is pretty simple, it's either authenticated or unauthenticated
>HTTP proxy protocol. There should be a way to specifiy for which hosts it
>applies to.. You could also do HTTP over socks4/5 but that's a bit silly.
>
>FTP is difficult, there is at least:
>   ftp over http
>   ftp over user@host
>   ftp over site
>   ftp over ?? [I forget this one]
>   ftp over NAT (passive)
>   ftp over socks4 and socks5
>
>Many of those have authenticated versions as well and all should have a
>way to specify which addresses apply.

We have an ftp cache here which seems to be accessed differently from
any of these (unless I misunderstood you).  You ftp to the cache,
login anonymously, and cd to a particular directory.  So to get to
ftp.debian.org:

ftp ftpcache
login: ftp
password: <email>
cd /sites/ftp.debian.org/pub/debian
ls

...and so on.  I'm not sure that you can ever have a scheme that will work
for -all- the wierd and wonderful proxies, caches and firewalls out there.

(This cache is something that was knocked up locally, I think.  It's
integrated with the HENSA mirrors, but fetches updates to individual
files on demand, too.)

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>