Re: windows nt and linux

"Matthew R. Briggs" <mbriggs@switchboard.net> writes:

> No, I don't think that will do it.  He's talking about ntldr and boot.ini,
> which NT places in the root directory of the boot drive...in his case a
> 300MB FAT partition.  If he reformats for ext2, the NT boot loader will
> not exist anymore, and even his NT Emergency Boot Disk will not be able to
> save him.

Sad but true...

> Matthew, unfortunately there isn't much you can do in this situation if
> you want to keep NT.  If you're willing to reinstall NT, make NT live on
> the boot partition and format the whole thing NTFS.  ntldr and boot.ini
> will go into the NTFS partition, and you can use "bootsect" to boot Linux
> from the NT boot prompt...they can co-exist quite happily at that point.
> But at the moment, you won't be able to use that FAT partition for Linux
> unless you go with umsdos, which is a whole different can of worms.

I would like to add the warning, that if NT is installed on a bootable
NTFS partition, you should at no point experiment with LILO. In such a
setup NT "takes ownership" of the MBR and wont allow anything else to
touch it. If you want to use LILO, you should boot NT from a FAT
partition. Otherwise you should use bootsect, as Matthew suggests. If
you don't like the bootsect method, you could make a small (10MB)
bootable FAT partition, followed by a larger NTFS partition for NT and
one or more partitions for Linux. Perhaps an tool like Partition Magic
could "shrink" your FAT partion, and you could thus get this setup
without touching NT.

- Sten Anderson