Re: windows nt and linux

No, I don't think that will do it.  He's talking about ntldr and boot.ini,
which NT places in the root directory of the boot drive...in his case a
300MB FAT partition.  If he reformats for ext2, the NT boot loader will
not exist anymore, and even his NT Emergency Boot Disk will not be able to
save him.

Matthew, unfortunately there isn't much you can do in this situation if
you want to keep NT.  If you're willing to reinstall NT, make NT live on
the boot partition and format the whole thing NTFS.  ntldr and boot.ini
will go into the NTFS partition, and you can use "bootsect" to boot Linux
from the NT boot prompt...they can co-exist quite happily at that point.
But at the moment, you won't be able to use that FAT partition for Linux
unless you go with umsdos, which is a whole different can of worms.

I've just skimmed over the details here, but I do have some experience
with NT and Debian on the same machine, so if you need more info please
say so.

Matt