Re: Where's the SCSI support in Debian?

["Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>]
>> at the time bo was released, the options for the kernel were 2.0.29
>> and 2.0.30. as 2.0.30 turned out to be unstable on some machines,
>> debian decided to use the 2.0.29 kernel. the only problem is :
>> buslogic flashpoint support started with 2.0.30 :-(

> Does that mean that Debian cann't be installed "easily" on a machine
> with a Buslogic FlashPoint PT and no IDE disks?

There's already a bug on this:

#12747: 1997-08-01 Boot Disks lack FlashPoint SCSI Support
      Package: bootdisk; Reported by: Jeff Noxon <jeff@planetfall.com>; 85 days old.

See the long discussion at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/12/12747.html

[...]

> Is this going to change soon... I mean, 2.0 is still months away,
> and it kind of scares me to think of many users facing "way till
> 2.0"

Yes, well, the rescue/boot/base sequence should use 2.0.32 anyhow.
While they're at it, they should _confirm_ that the PCMCIA subsystem
(pcmcia-cs pcmcia-modules) all work with the kernel from the rescue
disk etc. (Actually I'm going to test this right now with the 15 Oct
boot disks.)

I had _very_ difficult time getting debian installed on my laptop by
way of an NFS served CDROM on another linux box.  Good think I had
another linux box on which I could compile stuff.  I basically had to
roll my own kernel and pcmcia stuff.

I assume Maintainer Group <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org> is on this
list.