Re: predepends on libc6?

J.J.Troup@comp.brad.ac.uk (James Troup)  wrote on 07.12.97 in <[🔎] dmmyb1x7xiv.fsf@dcsun4.comp.brad.ac.uk>:

[Deleted the part where you once again dodge the question _why_ ldconfig
is important]

> [dpkg does ordering on configuration and removal, not install]

Aah. Now _this_ is a good (and probably sufficient) point.

>From this, I'd say that everything needed by dpkg -i MUST pre-depend on
any other package that it needs for that functionality used by dpkg -i. We
just need to find out what that is.

I've just tried to strace dpkg -i libc6, and look at the result; _that_
install needs

dpkg (dpkg, dpkg-split, dpkg-deb, libdpkg)
gzip
tar
fileutils (rm)
ldso (ldconfig)
libc

So we'd probably need pre-depends dpkg->(gzip,tar,fileutils)->libc->ldso.

Of these, we have tar->libc6, fileutils->libc6, libc6->ldso.

By the way, shouldn't Pre-Depends: only be used for Essential: yes
packages? I see Pre-Depends: without Essential: in the following packages:
libc5, libc6, perl, netstd, elvis-tiny, libreadline2 - probably some of
these ought to be essential, and the others not use pre-depends?

> > I do agree that gzip should get the predependency, since it doesn't
> > make sense for it to be inconsistent with all those other packages.
>
> Now that is the single most lame reason I've yet to hear for a package
> to have a Pre-Depends:.

Do I see a "but all those other packages use ldconfig" - "that doesn't
mean it's right" type argument here?

MfG Kai