Re: guavac, kaffe, kore, a free java development environment?

[ I got bounced again, so I missed the start of the thread ]

> > > Last time I had a look at it (months ago), kore was still too incomplete
> > > to replace jdk classes. But if it's now mature, feel free to package it.

The kore classes are fairly complete, but they aren't really useable
for kaffe yet - because the native methods aren't implemented.

Patrick Tullman has some patches he is going to release for kaffe
(version 0.8.4, I think) to make it work with kore:

  http://www.jimpick.com/lists/kore-list/0021.html

Of course, he's overdue with submitting the patches.  So everybody
is basically in a holding pattern waiting for them.

When he releases them, I was intending to make a kaffe and a kore
package.  Then it could go into the main distribution, instead of
contrib.

BTW, I am running the kore-list mailing list.  (I should get it
added to the Jolt page).

To subscribe, send a message containing "subscribe" in the body to
kore-list-request@jimpick.com

There is an archive of the list at:

  http://www.jimpick.com/lists/kore-list/

Unfortunately, kore just implements the JDK 1.0.2 interfaces at this
point.  That's OK, because Biss-AWT is currently only available for
the JDK 1.0.2 interface too, so it is conceivable to put together
a fairly complete free JDK equivalent for 1.0.2 when Patrick makes
available his patches.

The Biss-AWT classes for kaffe 0.9.2 (JDK 1.1.x) are also almost
ready too.

Cheers,

 - Jim