Re: guavac, kaffe, kore, a free java development environment?

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > > I am not yet a guavac user, but I plan to do some Java development
> > > for Linux (GPL'd of course), so I will end up being one sooner or later.
> > >
> > > And that raises a concern ... I don't want my work to depend on non-free
> > > components.  I see that while guavac is DFSG compliant, kaffe is not.  On
> > > examining kaffe closer, it is because it depends on the non-free jdk.  I'm
> > > wondering what could be done to make it depend on Kore instead?  It seems
> > > Kore isn't even packaged yet.  Is it still too rough to be building on top
> > > of?
> >
> > Last time I had a look at it (months ago), kore was still too incomplete
> > to replace jdk classes. But if it's now mature, feel free to package it.
>
> It will take me a while to determine this, as I am a neophyte Java
> programmer.  Perhaps someone can help me make this determination?
>
> In any event, I will be downloading guavac, kaffe, and kore, and will
> at least give them a try.

perhaps you want to have a look at this page

http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/jolt/ JOLT Project Home Page

JOLT is a project to develop a free Java development environment.

For more Java related bookmarks you can look at
http://www.oche.de/~leutloff/bookmarks/java.html.

I'm going to pack the biss-awt. I'll upload it to my www site, when
it's ready (http://www.oche.de/~leutloff/debian/packages/). It can't
go directly into Debian because of an unclear copyright.

Bye
  Christian

--
Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany