Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

> We already have a release manual, to put it short:
>
> 1/ Identify all the critical bugs (cf the bug tracking system for the
> definition of 'critical')
> 2/ Fix them and upload the corrected packages.
> 3/ Check the problems are gone.
> 4/ Release the distribution.

The release manual I am going to write tomorrow will probably be over
20 pages long.  It's exactly the same thing as what you wrote down, except
that it defines the tasks in detail, milestones, manpower requirements,
contingencies, 'pass' criteria, etc.

Think of Nasa launching a space shuttle mission.  They leave nothing
unplanned, and have contingencies written down for everything.  If something
doesn't go by the book, they have procedures in place to deal with that.

I'm not saying that organizing a release is as complex as organizing a
space shuttle mission, but it is a complex thing that requires coordinating
200+ developers.

I am going to use something like 'T minus' notation, so the procedure will
be reuseable for any major release.  I'll put all the Release 2.0 specific
stuff in an annex.

Of course, the first draft is going to need lots of debate and changes.
If we can settle on a procedure by Dec. 1st, Bruce will hopefully have
enough information to authorize the release.

I know Brian is the Release Engineer, and Dale is the Testing guy - I'm not
trying to replace that.  I just think I can help out with the initial
planning, and some of the execution.

Cheers,

 - Jim