Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> That is perfectly reasonable, but quite frankly, finding unknown bugs in
> current packages is no where near as important as fixing the bugs we
> already know about.

100% Agreed.
Step 1: Fix bugs that had been outstanding for years (31 months for the
oldest ones)
Step 2: Grep the distrib for new bugs.

> Well Vincent R. did a heroic job with the limited resources that collected
> around the QA team. They took critical bugs in hand and did non-maintainer
> uploads that fixed them. This was a division of labor. The testing team
> found problems that the QA team then attempted to resolve. From reports I
> got from Vincent, he was a little jealous (read disapointed) of the
> number of folks who joined testing compared to the number he had helping
> with QA. Your plan could go a long way toward helping this effor if it can
> focus more effort on fixing those bugs that are on critical paths for the
> integration process.

Heroic? _(;
When we started to discuss about the creation of a QA team (about 1 yr
from now) not too many people shown interest in this, so I did not expect
too many people to volunteer, but I didn't expect so few either. _(;
(All of the credits for the creation of the QA team go to Lars Wirzenius
BTW)

> > > While this is not a bad idea (outside of who writes the damn thing) it
> > > doesn't come close to eliminating misunderstandings (see current DFSG
> > > threads ;-)

We already have a release manual, to put it short:

1/ Identify all the critical bugs (cf the bug tracking system for the
definition of 'critical')
2/ Fix them and upload the corrected packages.
3/ Check the problems are gone.
4/ Release the distribution.

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -