Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:

> Well, the boot floppies are Sven's package, so talk to him. What I was
> thinking of doing was:

[...]

> 2. Building a boot floppy especially for the CD-ROM. This is because the
>    CD boot is a floppy disk image in a file. This one would be:
> 	A. 2.88MB in size.
> 	B. A minix or ROMFS filesystem.
> 	C. Using LILO for the boot block.
> 	D. Containing either more than one kernel, or modules.
>
>    The "real" floppy image would remain much the same as today, using
>    a DOS filesystem and SysLinux.

I've some ideas for the wish list:

Can we try to use the GRUB instead of LILO!?

What about aspects of internationalisation!?

Is it possible to integrate a small documentation reading
system/program to access to documents on the CD!?

> 3. Modifying my debian-cd package to make both CDs bootable, so that you
>    can have alternate kernels on the source CD.

superb. Can this mechanism be so flexible that additional CDs can be
made bootable, like a dictionary CD or something else??

Will we made Official Binary CDs for other architectures than i386!?
Can they boot from a CD, too?

> 4. Writing a shell-and-dialog hack that would run dpkg --set-selections
>    to set common configurations for your Debian system and install them,
>    saving the common man from having to run dselect. Should have done this
>    in 1.3 .

While specifying these common configurations, can we build one useful
profile so that the necessary packages fits on a 100 MB ZIP-Medium!?
This has two advantages:

1) It's easy to install a normal Debian system using the parallel port
ZIP-Drive on PCs without a CD-ROM or a network connection.

2) We can put this basis for five different architectures on one
CD. This way people can try out Debian for there special architecture
and there's no need to build a separate CD for each of the five
different architectures.

Bye
  Christian

--