boot-floppies (was Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date)

On 20 Nov 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> A PPP-only computer should select the 'Not on a network' option, but
> most people with PPP would think their computer is on a network.
>
> Similarly, we need to accentuate the fact that Debian can be installed
> completely over PPP, without any CD-ROM at all!
>
> I'd just like to clean up the current network configuration, and make
> sure whatever program does the network configuration is available
> later on the system (a'la modconf) -- that's the only big gripe I've
> always had with Debian, that it had no netconfig program.

As Sven posted a while ago in debian-devel, we are currently rewriting
in C the boot-floppies script that does the installation/configuration
stuff ("dinstall").

I like the idea of a "modular" dinstall, instead of the monolythic
one we have, and the current work is heading in that direction.
Please, contact Sven and "join the crew". :-)

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna