Re: social contract

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > 2. We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community
> >    When we write new components of the Debian system, we will license
> >    them as free software. We will make the best system we can, so that
> >    free software will be widely distributed and used. We will feed
> >    back bug-fixes, improvements, user requests, etc. to the "upstream"
> >    authors of software included in our system.
>
> First it was procps patches kept private. The original author
> had to take it back so that non-Debian systems could have
> a good version.
>
> Now I hear sysvinit is also being kept private.
>
> Is it really that hard to upload to sunsite.unc.edu and
> tsx-11.mit.edu in standard .tar.gz format? (maybe you could
> substitute .cpio.bzip2 if you like that better, but NOT .deb)
> Nobody expects an .rpm, which wouldn't be fair to Slackware
> and do-it-yourself users anyway.
>
> If there is anything else you are hiding, please upload it
> to sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu right now.

What kind of retoric is this?

We don't hide anything! We have a primary ftp site and dozens of mirrors!
We provide .diff files that can be applied to the source you find in
places like sunsite and txs-11. Doesn't sunsite mirror Debian?

Everything we produce is freely available via ftp from multiple sources. I
don't see how that is hiding?

Waiting is,

Dwarf