Re: Selling Artistic License Software (WAS: Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers)

On Sun, Nov 16, 1997 at 02:18:00PM +0100, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> Dale Scheetz:
> >
> > This method of decission is one I use in my life, and it works very well.
>
> In fact, this is one of Emmanuel Kant's principles :-)

  Sure, that is the categorical imperative, but we must mention that
  Kant was a mystic and his principles (and goals, for he makes no
  distinction between the two)  spring out of thin air.

  Now that we are about to end this discussion, let me add that RMS has
  borrowed ideas from Kant, ideas that are generally referred on this
  list as "dogma"; though not completely accurate, for they are in a different
  category all by themselves, in many ways this is true. Problem with RMS is
  though, that he also heavily borrows from the utilitarians (!), mixes and
  adds, then walks about talking a great deal of nonsense about things that he
  knows nothing about.

  I support GPL solely because of the benefits derived, and they are many.
  When students ask "why should I give my program for free ?" we have to
  show them that it is to THEIR benefit to share, and it is to
  THEIR benefit to contribute, and, most certainly, it is to their benefit
  if they reject "father give me" virtues.

--

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida