Re: Selling Artistic License Software (WAS: Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers)

On 15 Nov 1997, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> Dale Scheetz, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >that they desire for that change. I would argue that our definitions are
> >not strict enough. We provide the "Artistic License" as an example of a
> >"Free" license, while it clearly restricts distribution "for sale". I have
> >argued in the past, and will continue to argue, that software isn't free
> >if you can't sell it.
>
> The Artistic License only says that you can't sell JUST the software
> under the License.  It specifically says that you can aggregate it with
> other software and if *that* software is eligible to be sold and charge
> any price you please for it.  You just can't say that you own or wrote
> the package under the License.  You can also charge anything you want
> for support for your (possibly) changed version of the Licensed product.
>
> What a lot of this means is that you can bundle it with other software
> without that software being contaminated.  You can produce other
> software with it without that software being contaminated.  You just
> can't sell software under the Artistic License by itself.

I understand completely how this works, but the principle is flawed.

You have to ask yourself, "If all software were licensed under these terms
would it be free?". My answer would be no, because there would be no
"software that can be sold" to "aggregate" with.

This license specifically says, "you can not sell this software". It
provides loopholes, like aggregation, copying fees and support, as avenues
for making money, but I view them as slightly dishonest. The "can not
sell" clause is a distribution restriction, and for me, makes the package
less free.

Luck,

Dwarf