Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Paul J Thompson wrote:

> > so how would you 'break things up'? by whim or personal preference?
>
> Of course neither.  Come on, there's got to be something sort of more
> in the middle of the two arguments then either the dfsg or a total
> 'break up'.

what two arguments?  all i've heard from you so far is that you don't like
the dfsg.

it's pretty difficult to have a middle position in a binary system -
software is either free or it's not.  if it's free it can go in main or
contrib, if it's non-free then it may be able to go in non-free.  simple,
clear, and obvious.  what is it about this that is so difficult to
understand?

> > huh?  that's *PRECISELY* what debian's social contract and DFSG are.  they
> > are an explanation to the world of what we mean when we say "free".
>
> Do you know how out of the way those documents are for new Debianers?
> With the priority they place for Debian (and they are pretty
> important, obviously) they should be on the very front of our
> homepage.  They should be part of the installation procedure (one of
> those texts that pops up).  And so on...

yeah.  very out of the way and hard to find.  they're only the second item
on www.debian.org, just after "About Debian".

> > Debian's social contract states unequivocally that debian is not
> > against non-free software.
>
> doesn't sound quite like that too me.

try reading it again.  plain english isn't that difficult.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract