Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

You wrote:
> Short and simply, I second this suggestion. Anyone else agree?
>
> > I have been talking to an upstream maintainer and the question of how
> > Debian is distributed came up. I downloaded the "debian-cd" package but
> > I am a bit confused as to what is put on the CD - it seems to build a
> > binary CD and optionally a source CD. However it seems to include all
> > three trees as neither contrib or non-free seemed to be excluded.
> >
> > In the process I came to the conclusion that "non-free" is a misleading
> > term - maybe it should be renamed "non-dfsg". A fair number of packages
> > in there are free, just not as "free" as we would like them to be. I'll
> > probably get flamed by lots of GPL people, but I don't have a problem
> > with someone who wants to protect their hard work.

Why ? Software in "non-free" is non-free software in the context of the DFSG, therefore the term is valid. Other people may have other definitions of "free". What will happen ? At worst they wonder why certain packages are in non-free; at best they will ask why these packages are in non-free and this is when they may find our definition of free in the DFSG.

If non-free was renamed to non-dfsg, those people would have no clue what this means. At worst, they won't care (at the risk of doing illegal things without knowing); at best, they had to read the DFSG.

Gregor

---
| Gregor Hoffleit Mathematisches Institut, Uni HD |
| flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de INF 288, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany |
| (NeXTmail, MIME) (49)6221 54-5771 fax 54-8312 |
| PGP Key fingerprint = 23 8F B3 38 A3 39 A6 01 5B 99 91 D6 F2 AC CD C7 |